Thursday, August 29, 2013

I happened to come across the story of "The Elephant Man", Joseph Merrick this afternoon. His birth and existence proves that the mother nature is beyond the comprehension of normal people. Instead of trying to comprehend the nature, we run behind things that please eyes. Those that do not please eyes are not welcomed. Rather, we tend to discard them. One of such examples is that of 'the Elephant Man'.  Though, Joseph was physically distorted, he had a mind to create. The following is a poem that he wrote to end one of his letters. The poem is entitled 'False Greatness'.

False Greatness

Tis true, my form is something odd
but blaming me, is blaming God,
Could I create myself anew
I would not fail in pleasing you.
If I could reach from pole to pole
or grasp the ocean with a span,
I would be measured by the soul
The mind’s the standard of the Man.

Joseph Merrick 

No comments:

Post a Comment